It was quite a quick turn around for mom. Two doctors that work with her surgeon came in and took out about 3/4 of the staples and opened the incision back up. They determined that she had an infection quite large but still sort of on the surface. They irrigated it and then packed it with sterile wet gauze. They actually left it open like that and covered it up with some tape. It was quite crazy.
They had trouble getting in the IV for fluids because she was a bit dehydrated, but four people later, they got it in and got her pumping on fluids. They also gave her some oral pain meds, anti nausea and antibiotics. Only 2 hours after we got here, she was able to eat more than she has in a week. She ate an entire bowl of rice and some watermelon. She just got up to go to the bathroom and said "I can't believe how much better I feel!". She is wide awake and doing great now. Just flushing out the infection made a big difference.
She'll likely be here till at least Friday would be my guess, so they can make sure the infection is gone and then reclose the wound. She requested no visitors this time so that she can heal and keep as clean as possible. Thank you everyone for well wishes and prayers to stay healthy. I'll keep everyone updated as much as I can in the next few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment